Re: Oracle 10g and JVM

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:05:12 +0200

> Let me start with clear terminology: "database control" is the new (in
> 10g) webapp (java-based HTTP server) that Oracle intends for people to use
> as the primary GUI for database management and monitoring. This is also
> known as "grid control" if you set up an OEM repository and manage
> multiple databases with it. It (database control) typically runs on the
> same server as the RDBMS, is invoked with the "emctl" command, listens on
> port 5500, and you access it from the client using your web browser (no
> Oracle software whatsoever required on the client). It uses OAS, which of
> course requires JVM (again, on the server).
>
> "Java console" is the legacy client application (previously known as DBA
> Studio) that runs on the client and is invoked (under Unix) as "oemapp
> dbastudio". This runs on your local workstation (client) and of course
> requires JVM locally, as well as the rest of the Oracle client software
> stack.
>
> So, when you say "dbconsole is running fine" I can only assume you mean
> the Java console, not the database control, which is what I referred to in
> my original reply.
>
> OEM database control supports much more functionality than OEM Java
> console (such as ASM management), although there are still some things
> that even Oracle says require the Java console in version 10g.
>
> Per my previous reply, I was simply wondering what problem or issue you
> were trying to address by not installing JVM as part of the default RDBMS
> install.
>
> -Mark Bole

No real problem actually - I always try to install the minimal amount of features/options/modules that we really need - this consumes less resources (memory, diskspace), takes less time to patch, and what doesn't get installed, can't get broken. I know that Oracle recommends to install JVM, Intermedia, and XML db (they are selected by default). So my question is what are the consequences of not installing JVM ? Regarding the dbconsole : i'm referring to the stand-alone database control that is started up with the command "emctl start dbconsole" on the server, and accessed by a web browser on my PC (http://...:5500/em). So NOT the Java-based Enterprise Manager Console ! Dbconsole is running fine, and I didn't install OAS, or JVM with the database ...

Note : i'm talking about JVM ** inside ** the db, not JVM as part of a stand-alone installation on a server or client PC.

Gr
Matthias Hoys Received on Wed Sep 14 2005 - 15:05:12 CDT