Re: Oracle 10g and JVM

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:45:16 GMT

> Because I'm a dinosaur, and believe a database should be a database, and
> not some &^%!$. We can now browse the internet, watch video's and listen
> to music in Oracle. Nice, but not (always) a database in my book.
>
> So, I do not install the JVM when I don't need it - and save 50%
> on install time :)
> And I do not use db control, I am in control (mostly ;) )

(The following is NOT directed at Frank, who knows enough to make such decisions in the correct context. However, there are many DBAs and organizations who do consciously,or out of ignorance, make such decisions. In which case the customer probably should look at open source RDBMS ...)

Ah - so you believe in making sure Oracle is expensive, by paying for a capability in the database, refusing to use it, and then paying someone else to develop and maintain the same capability and call it an application (or a 'maintenance script') <g>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com