Re: 8.1.7 shutdown

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:24:21 GMT

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:09:06 +0000, Alessandro interested us by writing:

(from an earlier post)
> If the "unclean" shutdown is performed at the "wrong" time the db will
> probably be corrupted at following startup

Sorry - won't happen due to the 'unclean shutdown'. This has been discussed in the cdo forums many times, and I admit it took several moons to get this through my thick skull as well.

The kicker is, especially in 8i and 9i, a transaction is not committed until it's redo information is written into the redo log file. Once in the redo log file, any transaction can be recreated. If not there, the transaction did not complete. The crash recovery simply replays all transactions from the redo log files that did not make it into the data tablespace and then rolls back the ones that did not complete due to a shutdown abort or due to turning off the system.

> At this point, as system is a 7x24 and upmost application layer needs to
> be closed manually, I'm really thinking to ask a team's programmer to
> make a simple VB script to close application and - after a while - the
> db.

I reiterate my suggestion of upgrading as soon as feasible. While recognizing your earlier comment about the number of apps and sympathizing about the amount of work and effort.

It's actually amusing - in a sad way - to talk with so many companies that have mission critical, 24x7 applications that are unsupported. I've actually hear comments like "No need to upgrade, as we are making money now ... it works so why fix it. But we pray that we never have a complete loss as that will kill the company." The next question often is "When can we upgrade Windows?", followed by "Why doesn't Oracle patch the obsolete version to meet the upgrade of Windows?"

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com