Re: 8.1.7 shutdown

From: Alessandro <alever_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:09:06 +0000 (UTC)

"Umberto" <umberto.quaia_at_tin.it> wrote in message news:1126263465.894273.222910_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com

> Try increasing timeout for Windows service using "oradim" utility.
> Probably it takes more than 30 seconds to "shutdown immediate" and
> windows service automatically closes without waiting.
> You can check time set in "HKLM\Software\Oracle\..." instance registry
> key.
> Make sure shutdown mode is "i" (immediate) and not "a" (abort).

I've set ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT parameter at 300 and also tried system-wide WaitToKillServiceTimeout parameter at 300000 (milliseconds); shutdown mode is immediate.

> My advice is however to shutdown DB and other important services by
> hand before rebooting reserving automatic shutdown to emergency cases
> only.
>
> However, according to my experience, real corruption is normally due to
> disk failures. Even a system crash normally is solved by "recover
> database".

According to metalink, this problem was a bug for which some patches were nedeed; unfortunately product version is unsupported and those patches are no more available.

At this point, as system is a 7x24 and upmost application layer needs to be closed manually, I'm really thinking to ask a team's programmer to make a simple VB script to close application and - after a while - the db.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions,

Alessandro