Re: The opmn thing-a-majick

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:04:09 GMT

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:11:05 -0700, Billy interested us by writing:

> And just why opmn and no longer apachectl.. why fix something that's
> not broken? Or is there a bigger picture here?

Ya, it's part of a bigger picture.

opmn is a two-part watchdog and manager on 'all' components of App Server. It has been given the ability and responsibility to start, stop, check status, restart for HA, etc.

A couple of kickers on opmn: consists of two processes

  1. monitor and notify all other nodes of status, including heartbeat
    • has capability to restart any component
    • talks to other opmns in cluster to determine load balance, etc
  2. monitor process 1) and restart it if it fails

If you bypass it, you may not be setting up opmn's internal knowledge base of what is and isn't happening in it's world.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com