Re: Which background process regulates amount of pga memory per session in 10g ? Thanks, rm.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:48:48 +0000 (UTC)

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.09.05.23.08.38.158969_at_telus.net...
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:28:11 +0000, Jonathan Lewis interested us by
> writing:
>
>> I believe that it is CKPT that deals with co-coordinating
>> PGA memory across sessions.
>
> Curious - why would you consider CKPT instead of MMAN?
>
> Opinion: I could see CKPT handling that in 9i and then having the
> functionality transfered to MMAN as that grows up in 10g.
>
> I haven't checked yet, but does MMAN always come up in 10g? Or only if
> Memory management is required? (Which might yield a way to test this.)
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***

Sticking with messages - the

    SQL memory management
message still goes to CKPT in 10g.

I think one argument in favour of using CKPT (or PMON, or something other than MMAN) is that the global PGA usage needs to be checked quite frequently to minimise the chance of the current global bound getting too stale and allowed lots of new requests to be over-aggressive asking for memory.

If MMAN took the job on, it might be possible for MMAN to get tied up for a relatively long time which could allow this problem to appear.

(Pure surmise, of course).

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

Now waiting on the publishers:    Cost Based Oracle - Volume 1

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 8th July 2005