Re: Can I build standby database using this method?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2005 15:30:21 -0700

As you've discovered, hot backups generate more redo. To me, that is a main reason to switch to RMAN. You can use nocatalog if you have a very simple setup, as implied in your post, if you have concerns about managing another instance.

Then look on metalink for cookbooks on how to create standbys with RMAN, as well as taking backups from standbys. That way you can both be supported and minimize risk by using procedures others have had their "learning experiences" on.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050830/news_1b30cox.html