Can I build standby database using this method?

From: Eagle Fan <eagle.f_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 18:01:36 -0700

hi:

I want to build a new standby database for a production database.

And the production database already has a DR standby database.

I know , I can shutdown the DR standby database and copy the datafiles, the controlfile, the init.ora to new box. But it's danguares when primary database crash during my copying process, and I should take a lot time to recovry the DR standby database for the failover.

I also know that I can use "alter tablespace xx begin backup" on the primary database , but that will cause the primary database generates more redo logs during the copying. And the archive directory is not big enough

So I want to copy the datafiles from the DR standby database without shutdown the DR database.The DR standby database is recovering during my copying process.

After my copy done, then I try to recover the new standby database, if see some datafile block errors, then I re-copy the datafile and recover again.

This method works fine so far. And I already used this method to create some standby database successfully.

My questions is if this is a support method by Oracle? Does this has any risk in the future?

Thanks Received on Mon Aug 29 2005 - 20:01:36 CDT