Re: Recover old Database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:18:16 +0200

On 30 Aug 2005 14:34:44 -0700, "acatejr_at_gmail.com" <acatejr_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the help. I am using Oracle 10g on a Windows XP Pro system.
>I am not sure what you mean by knowing if my user's db files were
>affected. If you mean are they corrupted on the hard drive the answer
>is no. The hard drive storing the data was not the one affected by the
>hardware problem. If you mean are they affected in terms of Oracle I
>have no way of knowing until I actually get the data back into Oracle.
>Thanks again for the help!

You definitely can't get the data -by magic- in another database. You would need to retrieve the controlfile of the affected database, or set up a new controlfile for this database. You would also need to create a database instance, and setup an init.ora and/or spfile. You can hardly expect anyone here is going to guide you through this for free in his own spare time, as you seem to know next to nothing about Oracle (otherwise you wouldn't have asked whether you can attach random datafiles to an existing database). The best advice I can give you is to hire a consultant.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA