Re: Server Name Change using Oracle 10G, db console does not work.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:38:26 GMT

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 06:23:21 -0700, Bluey wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If I am performing a server name change while on Oracle 10G. I
> discovered the db console did not work, even though I shutdown all of
> the services and databases.
>
> What is the method to change a server name in Windows 2003, in
> particular how do I get the Oracle 10g db console working again?
>
> Do I need to re-install Oracle after I change the server name?

For god's sake! No' you don't need to reinstall Oracle. Check listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora for any reference of the old server name. Also, restart the intelligent agent if it was started. Check your init.ora (spfile.ora?) parameters, specially service_names and local listener for any reference to the old name.
In addition to that, on your $ORACLE_HOME directory there should be something called $HOSTNAME_$SID. It looks like this:

$ ls -ld $ORACLE_HOME/`hostname`_$ORACLE_SID drwxr----- 3 oracle dba 24 Aug 1 23:11 /oracle/product/10g/medo.noip.com_10G $

This directory is extremely important, it contains pointers to installed software and OEM configuration. Rename it to reflect the new hostname.

--
http://www.mgogala.com