Re: Why is "shutdown abort", then backup bad

From: <bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2005 11:03:42 -0700

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> This group is unmoderated, however you are desperately attempting to
> moderate posts *you* feel are unfit for publication. Such behaviour

Interesting comments and I respect you for your post to this group over the past years. However a bit of clarity is needed. I "desperately" attempting to do nothing (these are your words). Further there is minimal evidence to make this statement. As and for moderating the newsgroup, I ask how many times do I read Daniel Morgan demanding someone to "apologise" each month (which given his tone is damn cheeky). Clearly Daniel Morgan feels some posts are unfit for publication too! So your comments apply equally to me and him. I will watch out for you replying to Daniels posts over the next month as he clearly, to paraphrase your words, "desperately attempts to moderate posts" too. I expect there may be just a little hypocrisy in what you are writing.

> posted questions. I've yet to see anything from your hand remotely
> approaching a knowledgeable response; are these invisible to the

Again I write just because someone makes a contribution to the group, it doesn't mean they have EARNT some magical right to be rude. I read and reread your post and it appears to me that the thing that gets your goat is that you think some people have earnt the right and others have not (because you are challenging me for my attempted "moderation" and not so many others). From my perspective I haven't earnt the right to be rude and Daniel has. This is rubbish, neither of us have. My argument is that no one has earnt the right to be rude and write RTFM. It doesn't matter whether I have contributed to this group or not. That is why I posted my polite initial comment to Mladen Gogala because she wrote RTFM.

Jonathan Lewis writes very regularly an e-mail message titled "Etiquette - and how to get an answer" to this newsgroup. This could also be interpreted as moderation of a newsgroup but I have yet to see anyone take him to task about it. The reason it that the man conducts himself professionally and we respect him for this and his subject knowledge. Jonathan and many others would never write RTFM. And no one would accuse him of attempting to moderate the newsgroup either. I expect however that one of his motives for repeatedly posting this message is however that people in this group often write RTFM and the resultant flame war starts. Mladen Gogala wrote RTFM. She should retract the comment.

> Were Mary Poppins to suddenly become an Oracle Certified DBA and submit

All I can say is Winnie the Pooh. It is about as relevant. Barry Received on Sun Aug 07 2005 - 13:03:42 CDT