Re: Delete a databse without using Oracle Console to do so

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2005 15:22:38 -0700

What's wrong with resetting the passwords from within oracle, using a system level account?
Do you have an OS account identified externally that you could use?

If not - I'm not so sure about 10g, but in previous versions, I'd do the following:

  1. key in this query in SQL+: select 'del ' || name from sys.v_$datafile; ** if you're in windows select 'rm ' || name from sys.v_$datafile; ** if you're in UNIX
    • this will generate the commands to delete all data files in use by the db.
  2. print out the parameter file (pfile) for the db (should be in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs) ; this will indicate where your control files are
  3. Shut down the db
  4. Delete the data files with the generated delete commands
  5. Delete the control files
  6. Delete the init and config files from the dbs directory
  7. Remove entries for the db from your oratab file (if you can't reuse the SID, my guess is this is what's holding you up).

I think that should pretty much do it....

Cheers,

BD. Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 17:22:38 CDT