Re: emctl appears to need $DISPLAY

From: Arthur Salazar <asalazar_at_asalazar.visionsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:16:49 -0700

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:50:13 +0000, IANAL_VISTA wrote:

> Arthur Salazar <asalazar_at_asalazar.visionsolutions.com> wrote in
>

>> I am attempting to write a script to bring Oracle 10g up and down.
>> At one point I call "emctl start dbconsole". I find that it appears
>> to need to have the DISPLAY environment variable set to a valid X
>> server.
>>
>> I will be running the script in a non-visual environment. Can anyone
>> suggest a way that this can be worked around?
>>

> What's wrong with using SQLPLUS instead?

I call sqlplus a little later in the script (I paseted some snippets below).

But this is getting me thinking...

Your comment makes me think that emctl and sqlplus may be redundant somehow in a startup script. My understanding was that sqlplus started the database, lsnrctl starts listeners for remote users and emctl starts a web server for access to management functions over the web (specifically http).

Perhaps I have it wrong. Can you clarify for me or send me a pointer to additional information?

Thanks,

-arthur

My startup script does (assume appropriate environement set up):

[version 10g]
lsnrctl start
isqlplusctl start
emctl start dbconsole
sqlplus / as sysdba << EOF
startup
quit
EOF   [version 9i]
lsnrctl start
sqlplus /nolog <<EOF
connect / as sysdba
startup
EOF and the shut down is:

[version 10g]

emctl stop dbconsole
isqlplusctl stop
lsnrctl stop
sqlplus / as sysdba << EOF
shutdown immediate
quit
EOF [version 9i]

lsnrctl stop
sqlplus /nolog <<EOF
connect / as sysdba
shutdown immediate
EOF   I start and stop Apache separatly for version 9 with:

apachectl start
apachectl stop Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 11:16:49 CDT