Re: emctl appears to need $DISPLAY

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:31:50 +0200

Arthur Salazar wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:50:13 +0000, IANAL_VISTA wrote:

[...]

>>What's wrong with using SQLPLUS instead?

> I call sqlplus a little later in the script (I paseted some snippets
> below).

I'd try the other way 'round: dbconsole should be started after db and listener - at least that's my experience from windows (and as such only loosely related to your problem).

> But this is getting me thinking...
>
> Your comment makes me think that emctl and sqlplus may be redundant
> somehow in a startup script. My understanding was that sqlplus started
> the database, lsnrctl starts listeners for remote users and emctl starts a
> web server for access to management functions over the web (specifically
> http).

This is also my experience: dbconsole is started separately. My startup-skript has it like this:

case "$1" in

     start)
         # Oracle listener and instance startup
         echo -n "Starting Oracle: "
         su - $ORA_OWNR -c "$ORA_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start"
         su - $ORA_OWNR -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart
         su - $ORA_OWNR -c "$ORA_HOME/bin/isqlplusctl start"
         su - $ORA_OWNR -c "$ORA_HOME/bin/emctl start dbconsole"
         su - $ORA_OWNR -c "/opt/app/oracle/Middleware/opmn/bin/opmnctl startall"

Note that dbstart is called before emctl. Funny thing though, this is called during sys-v init when no $DISPLAY is set. So what OS are you on?

> Perhaps I have it wrong. Can you clarify for me or send me a pointer to
> additional information?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -arthur
>
> My startup script does (assume appropriate environement set up):
>
> [version 10g]
> lsnrctl start
> isqlplusctl start
> emctl start dbconsole
> sqlplus / as sysdba << EOF
> startup
> quit
> EOF

Put isqlplus and emctl after the startup of the db.

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 11:31:50 CDT