Re: Is it a good idea, dev/test/production on one box

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 21 Jul 2005 10:54:31 -0700

> Forgive me for butting in if I'm wrong here, but I was under the
> impression that Oracle used for Dev and QA/Test was "free" - you can
> just download from their site.
>
> You pay when you *_deploy_* any app, so obviously, you pay for your
> production db, but not the others.
>

> Unless I've seriously misunderstood Oracle's licencing?
>
> Paul...

Paul I don't think a lot of people take the time to read and understand the licensing but it's all there in legal boilerplate when you sign up for OTN.

My condensed version is that while oracle wants people to download and look at the software, the agreements notes that you can ONLY do basic prototyping of an application basically on a single user type system.

The agreement also notes that once you have anything in production you cannot continue to do development and testing without getting a license.

As oracle professional's as much as we may dislike some of the things about oracle licensing we have to know what we agree to and the implications thereof.

Just my opinion please check out the licensing agreement yourself. Received on Thu Jul 21 2005 - 12:54:31 CDT