Re: Is it a good idea, dev/test/production on one box

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:25:33 +0100

"hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> You pay when you *_deploy_* any app, so obviously, you pay for your
>> production db, but not the others.

>Paul I don't think a lot of people take the time to read and understand
>the licensing but it's all there in legal boilerplate when you sign up
>for OTN.

I'm sure that they're very thorough.

>My condensed version is that while oracle wants people to download and
>look at the software, the agreements notes that you can ONLY do basic
>prototyping of an application basically on a single user type system.
>
>The agreement also notes that once you have anything in production you
>cannot continue to do development and testing without getting a
>license.

<Light dawning>

Ah so, glasshopper, you are young, you have a lot to lahn!

</Light dawning>

Right! Now I understand why people were/are getting their knickers in a twist over stuff that I thought they were fretting needlessly about.

Mind you, I have to say, my interpretation came partly from having worked as a Test Engineer (yuch, the burger flipping of the software industry, but unfortunately as necessary as, well, er... burgers!), we had a room full of test servers with Oracle and other unmentionable db's on them. I asked the QA boss one day "All this must cost a shitload in licensing" - "Naw, it's test, it's only when our clients deploy that *_they_* have to pay money for Oracle."

Maybe I should report them.... hee, hee...

>As oracle professional's as much as we may dislike some of the things
>about oracle licensing we have to know what we agree to and the
>implications thereof.
>Just my opinion please check out the licensing agreement yourself.

I'm sure that your interpretation is more accurate than mine. At the moment I'm trying to get my foot onto the bottom rung of the Oracle DBA ladder, and I have 9 running at home for going throught the examples I see here and in the literature, so I don't think that I have to pay anything, yet!

As an aside, I've always been appalled at the shoddy attitude taken by many places where I've worked to software licensing. One place used a student version (fully functional) of the s/ware - 1 copy for about 5 people (needless to say, I didn't stay long!). I've seen it over and over again!

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.