Re: Is it a good idea, dev/test/production on one box

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2005 15:30:32 GMT

"NewGuyOnRAC" <joebayerii(delete)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is Oracle 9202 on RedHat Linux, 4cpu Dell computer, powerEdge,
> something like that. Load on production is not heavy, development is not
> heavy neither, they bought their software from vendor, there is no in
> house programming,

If there is no in-house programming, why do they even have/need a development instance/box/schema?

> so it is not the load/resource/performance issue that
> concerns me, I just do not like the idea of whole company, one box,
> something going wrong with the box, everything breaks.

If something goes wrong with production box, the only thing that really matters has broken. That the test box with useless data is still running is small comfort. Unless your plan is to wipe the test box and restore production onto it.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB