Re: EXEC syntax for SP which returns row set

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:08:22 -0700

Mark A wrote:

> Before I posted here, I asked 3 experienced Oracle DBA's in my shop and they
> did not know the answer. I also spent a lot of time reading the PL/SQL
> manual and books about PL/SQL. I also did some web searches. So if I had one
> of the Oracle DBA's with 10 years experience (not newbies) ask the question,
> would that have been better?

Maybe. Perhaps helped with some of the jargon busting. However, Oracle is a big topic, so it's hard to be expert in all aspects.

Anyhow, the newsgroup is renowned for providing the type of answers you saw. Many of the people on the ng do know the answers, but tend to have a philosophy of 'teach a man to fish'. Which it an OK approach, except it is not too friendly. And sometimes comes across as a little arrogant.

asktom on the other hand is very friendly towards newbies. And I also know that this question is one of the FAQs on asktom. So when you go to search websites in the future, I would suggest you include asktom in your list of targets, as well as this newsgroup

Note that a search on asktom with the keywords "stored procedures result sets" would have scored this as the #1 hit http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1020267672856972390::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4332831977240

FYI - And lastly, but also strangely enough, Tom also has a good blog going on the very topic of the usefulness of the replies in this newsgroup - http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2005/07/rtfm.html Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 01:08:22 CDT