Re: EXEC syntax for SP which returns row set

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:17:05 -0600

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:ZOidnTjy078cz0rfRVn-1w_at_comcast.com...

> Maybe. Perhaps helped with some of the jargon busting. However, Oracle is
> a big topic, so it's hard to be expert in all aspects.
>
> Anyhow, the newsgroup is renowned for providing the type of answers you
> saw. Many of the people on the ng do know the answers, but tend to have a
> philosophy of 'teach a man to fish'. Which it an OK approach, except it is
> not too friendly. And sometimes comes across as a little arrogant.
>
> asktom on the other hand is very friendly towards newbies. And I also know
> that this question is one of the FAQs on asktom. So when you go to search
> websites in the future, I would suggest you include asktom in your list of
> targets, as well as this newsgroup
>
> Note that a search on asktom with the keywords "stored procedures result
> sets" would have scored this as the #1 hit
> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1020267672856972390::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4332831977240

Actually, I have already seen AskTom on that subject. Very useful information, but a bit overkill for the simple question of what I need to know to test a SP in SQL*Plus. But yes, very useful site.

Believe me, when I ask a question here, it is only after I have exhausted all other resources, and it is usually an emergency.

> FYI - And lastly, but also strangely enough, Tom also has a good blog
> going on the very topic of the usefulness of the replies in this
> newsgroup - http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2005/07/rtfm.html

Here is what AskTom says:

"I do give RTFM answers on asktom, but with a twist. It is in the form of: 'here, it is documented at this <link>' ".

I have answered about 2000 questions on a DB2 forum (not a newsgroup) and I often do the same, instead of just saying RTFM I mention the manual it is in. I mentioned this idea on this forum about a week ago, but for some reason Daniel did not like it. Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 01:17:05 CDT