Re: LOCK_SGA on Oracle 8.1.7 (win2000)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:26:44 -0700

ORA600 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, in principal LOCK_SGA scheme in not supported on Windows 2000
> rather i should say Windows platform. doesn't matter which SP you are
> on.
>
> lock_sga and pre_page_sga are meant generally for UNIX where we have
> much better and stable control over memory and some kernel parameters
> that govern memory management.
>
> Yet, there is an optimisation method that is well described here,
>
> Oracle9i Database and Client Release Notes
> Release 2 (9.2.0.2.1) for 64-Bit Windows
> Part Number B10694-01
>
> I don't think this will work for Oracle 8i, so you have to try it for
> Oracle 9i or 10g. I don't know if it will work on 10g because i don't
> see these instructions in the 10g Release Notes. Yet, you could try it
> since you have already installed 10g.
>
> Are you referring to Metalink Note: 274092.1? Refer it, if you haven't
> yet.
>
> Check it and let me know if that works.
>
> Just curious, what are you trying to accomplish? why would you want to
> use LOCK_SGA on Win2k?
>
> windows memory managment is so horrible that you are lucky that it
> actually recognises 8GB or 16GB of RAM, let alone manage it.
>
> you might as well just add 512MB of RAM which is less of an headache
> than getting lock_sga to work on Win2K.
>
> ski

ORA600 brings up two excellent points and repeats what I said a day or two ago that you are trying to use a parameter not suppored on your operating system.

  1. What are you trying to accomplish and why?
  2. Why don't you get a 'real' operating system? -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)