Re: Big Tables? Real Life Examples.....

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:08:08 -0700

Ian Turner wrote:
> Thanks for the response... to clarify: "The smaller the systems - in terms
> of server size the better!"
>
> I was referring to examples. If someone has an example of a 2 billion row
> table running on a 64 CPU database cluster my colleague who suggested
> 150million is going to say it's down to server size. However, if someone is
> running personal oracle on a laptop they can't blame that can they.
>
> clearer?
>
> thanks
>
> Ian

Why on earth 64 CPUs? You are a hardware salesperson's sweetest dream.

First of all the number of CPUs has nothing to do with the quantity of data stored. Zip. Zero. Nada. Nyet. Zilch.

Given that 2 billion rows is small by any Oracle standard I would be thinking of a quad box or 2 node RAC cluster at most until someone told me there was some reason to believe that anything happening was CPU intensive. And even these suggestions might be overkill as I've put that many rows on my ThinkPad portable for demo purposes.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org