Re: Help with intermittant slow down

From: Lee <Lee_at_Jamtoday.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:25:51 -0600

>>> And on our end the problem appears to be an ASM issue and have nothing
>>> to do with the database: A TAR has been opened.

<SNIP>

> Perhaps you didn't notice that I posted this in
> comp.databases.oracle.server. ;-)

You fooled me (or let me fool myself) by saying "....ASM issue and have nothing to do with the database" , so I didnt think to look for it in the Oracle world. My bad.
Overgenerallized "not to do with database"

> If you truly don't recognize "ASM" then I'd suggest:
> http://tahiti.oracle.com
> search criterion "ASM"
> scroll down
> click on Concepts

"The Automatic Storage Management instance is a special Oracle instance that manages the disks in disk groups" ...etc, plus many cheerful facts about Storage Area Networks and Network Attached Storage.

Cool. Thanx for the pointer.

But there are boatloads of overloaded TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms)and "terms of art" with different meanings in different corners of the info technology world and way different meanings in other fields.

For example, "data set", ...means a telephone instrument in the "phone" world, but means (sorta) one or more media volumes (or is it simply one or more files?) in the IBM world. Even a venerable word such as "impedance" means one thing to an EE and something arguably different to a Mathematician. Received on Mon Jul 04 2005 - 16:25:51 CDT