Re: Oracle 10g ... is it solid / flakey / buggy / wonderful ... got an opinion?

From: Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:31:16 GMT

On 28 Jun 2005 19:41:39 -0700, pete_usenet_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm only just getting into 10g myself.
>
>I was wondering what general opinion do the folks
>in this group have of 10g? I suggest that any
>ORACLE RAC comments go in a similarly titled (but
>different) thread.
>
>In particular I ask this with respect to:
>primarily - is it solid or buggy
>secondarily - are the new DBA features useful
> (auto mem tuning, ASM, etc.)
>
>I'll bet that auto SGA tuning would be quite useful.
>As for ASM I'm on a vendor specific, super fancy,
>auto-hot-spot fighting RAID 5 and can't get off
>(wish I could), so I'm not sure it would benefit me.
>
>I welcome any comments related to Oracle 10g.
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

I'd say very stable. I found a pretty bad bug with bulk collect/forall but Oracle has supplied a patch. It fixes it in test.

The pl/sql compiler optimizations are probably my favorite feature. Automatic performance imprements in legacy code. Sweet.

LewisC

Lewis R Cunningham

Author, ItToolBox Blog: An Expert's Guide to Oracle http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/

Topic Editor, Suite101.com: Oracle Database http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/oracle