Re: 9i on HP-UX/Tru64

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 22 Jun 2005 04:45:45 -0700

SR wrote:

> I'm planning on installing 9.2.0.6 on a HP-UX/Tru64 server, for testing
> and self-leaning purposes. So far I have never installed Oracle on
> platforms other than Win32.
>
> I have no direct access to the box, so I'll have to install it from
> remote (ssh/telnet). Installation files will be available on the
> server.

Stef, if you use ssh (from a Unix box) then X-forwarding is by default enabled. This allows you to start a GUI app on the remote box and ssh will tunnel the X-protocol to your side for your local X-Server to display.

However, personal experience is that this is really slow. X11 is a dog, protocol wise. A big and fat and slow dog. And of course, will not work if your client is Windows (unless you have a X-Server running on the Windows side).

I prefer to use VNC instead. Startup the VNCserver on the remote box. Can be done via ssh or telnet. (and yes, VNC is available of HP-UX)

VNCserver listens on port 5900+display number. So if Xvnc is display 1, it will listen on TCP port 5901. Display 20 is port 5920. You can use ssh to tunnel that port back to your machine - assuming that you only have port 22 to opened to that remote server. Then use vncviewer to make a local connection. (ssh is really great in that regard as you can tunnel almost everything via a secure and encrypted connection)

If you have full access, you may not want to even bother with that and simply start vncviewer on your side and connect to the remote-host-ip:display.

As for the actual installation part - I believe that is a lot simpler on Unix than Windows. No silly Windows Services. No friggen Windows Registry. No dumb-ass registration of DCOM and COM objects and heaven knows what else.

--
Billy