Re: Need some info regarding capacity planning

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:35:07 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:23:59 -0700, hafeez_splendid interested us by writing:

> I need some info regarding the " Capacity Planning for database "
> in a OLTP based application . Typically it's a 3-tier architecture
> (web - app - db).I have to develop a design template for this.
>
> The sub-systems which have to be keep in concern are
> 1.Processor
> 2.Memory
> 3.Storage
>
> It would be better if anyone can suggest any tool for planning this .

If guessing (ie. paper based) call in a consultant. Thye often have the experience to interpret the various manuals correctly and give you reasonable guesses.

If based on actuals and trends, one alternative is to use Oracle's Enterprise Manager (within the Management Server or Grid Control context - central repository) and it's Diagnostics pack. That has capacity planning capability for some aspects. Getting better over time.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com