Re: How critical is RAC experience

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:22:55 -0700

Dave wrote:
> Also sprach DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> :
>
> :> Is CRS required to run RAC. Obviously not ... we don't use it here.
> :
> :Your statement reads something like:
> :"Is PMON required to run the database. Obviously not ... we don't use it
> :here."
> :
> :No CRS ... no RAC.
>
> What if one is running another Cluster solution, such as VCS (veritas)? I know
> on my demo system, where I am running 9i RAC with 2 nodes, I do not have CRS
> running, yet I daresay I have RAC?
>
> Isn't CRS properly part of 10g, and not in 9i?
>
> Dave

Yes. My reference could have been clearer and I was responding to the OP's handle which indicates HP/UX RAC rather than Solaris which is what I expect you are using. You can use Veritas with 10g but I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend the extra money to repurchase functinality.

In 9i we had the 'Cluster Manager' which has evolved into CRS.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington