Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:33:46 -0700

Paul wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>Take a good look at the date on Steven's book. I can't imagine he would
>>give the same advice today.

> Sorry? A quick perusal of the book didn't come up with anything like
> advice from him about the date? It was Sep 2002 - perhaps neolithic by
> your standards?
>

> Paul...

So likely written in 2001 which is about when 9.2.0 was released and probably based more on 8i than 9i experience. I don't mean to demean something 3-4 years old but in Oracle technology that is a long time ago. Two years ago during an interview I wouldn't have asked anyone about virtual indexes as they didn't exist. Today I wouldn't hire a 10g DBA that didn't know what they were. Things change very fast.

Note: Oracle has now had virtual indexes for more than 1 year.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington