Re: index creation fails because temp tablespace is too small

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:23:26 +0000 (UTC)

"chao_ping" <zhuchao_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114675597.977129.4360_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Morgan,
> Do you mean:
> If we have a partitioned table a, and a non-partitioned table B,
> with exact same structre and row number.
> And we build local index on partitoin table and normal index on a
> non-partitioned table, will we need less sort_area_size to build the
> index? Can you prove it with real test data , or theory like Jonathan
> Lewis's ?
> (Assume we only do in-memory sort)
>
> Regards

The point about partitioning is that if you have locally partitioned indexes, then you can create the index definition "unusable" which doesn't create the index, the rebuild each partition in turn. If the partitions are small enough, the 2-3GB of temp space should be adequate.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated April 5th 2005