Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:26:11 +0200

Reallybig wrote:
> that's exactly what i want to do. Any suggestions?

What's wrong with

update employee set total_sales = sales; ?!?

And I really do not understand your configuration: SQL> create table emp as select * from employees;

Table created.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.02
SQL> insert into emp (select * from emp);

107 rows created.
(repeat a couple of times....)
SQL> select count (*) from emp;

  COUNT(*)

    876544

Elapsed: 00:00:18.29
SQL> alter table emp add (total_sales number);

Table altered.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.01
SQL> update emp set total_sales=salary;

876544 rows updated.

Elapsed: 00:00:29.93

And that's a crappy AMD 1800+ with 1024MB, where not only 9i is active, but 10g as well

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel