Re: Real World Experience of Oracle RAC and its ability to Scale

From: Stu Charlton <stuartcharlton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2005 09:17:45 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1114063757.603181_at_yasure>...
> Stu Charlton wrote:
>
> > I've always wondered about this. Is it really that wrong to run the
> > database and application server on the same hardware?
>
> Yes.
>
> There are tremendous advantages in setup, configuration,
> peformance, and scalability from following Oracle's recommendations.
> How much depends on your hardware, application, and usage.

My point was that there may be circumstances where the latency benefits of using IPC between the app server and database may prove appropriate. I'm not talking about cost savings by saving on a node.

I mean, Oracle already runs a JVM inside of itself for use. Many web frameworks like mod_plsql and HTML DB run right off the database. Why not just bring the app server closer?

This is rhetorical, BTW, trying to find the logic in the long-held assumption. The logic seems to me "easier to differentiate for monitoring and tuning" which is usually good enoguh in my books, but I'm wondering where that doesn't hold up. Received on Sun Apr 24 2005 - 11:17:45 CDT