Re: Oracle Standard Edition One

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2005 01:25:25 -0700

HansF wrote:
> > I've an istance (in SQL)
> > Can I create X DB ... one DB for each application? (1 DB for .NET
> > application, 1 DB for Java application....)
>
> In Oracle's terminology, a database is a set of files that can
contain
> schemas and data and an instance is the memory and processes/threads
that
> interact between the user and the database.

Strictly the same definition would apply equally well to sqlserver instances and databases. In general SQLServer databases tend to contain only the one schema (dbo) and consist of just one datafile and one logfile, but this is general practice rather than a function of the product.

A sqlserver instance consists of the executable and associated memory structures, a database consists of at least one datafile and at least one logfile.

None of this changes the advice btw, use multiple schemas in one database and read the concepts guide would be mine.

> One Oracle database instance can contain many schemas, and a schema
is
> roughly equivalent to a MS SQLServer database.

I think that would read better without the word instance <g>.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Fri Apr 22 2005 - 03:25:25 CDT