Re: Advanced Replication: What is the best design for our situation?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:31:38 +0200

Jeroen Pieters wrote:
> Oracle release is 9.2.0.4.
>
> What do you mean with "bad design"?
>
> Yes, it is a J2EE application. What about this? Any bad experience?
> Please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Jeroen

Any design that treats an Oracle database (or any database, for that matter) like a barrel of data is wrong in my book.

Sadly, it often happens with applications, written in Java.

There has been a thread about J2EE, and why to better avoid it a couple of weeks ago. You could query the archives if interested. It seems a passed station to me anyway - you have what you have, and must live with it.
Things could have been easier, especially when replication comes in. A prime example of data entry, *without* any referential check of your front end. One of the best examples why you should not build applications like this one was built.

As for Oracle 9.2, Advanced Replication still exists very much like in the 8i days, and is improved

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel