Re: Oracle Standard Edition One

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 04:29:12 GMT

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:21:47 +0000, Valeria interested us by writing:

> which is the difference between the SQL term and Oracle term ... for DB

Well, for one thing, Oracle uses SQL as it's primary data interaction control language.

But I suspect you are being a bit sloppy and mean Microsoft's SQL Server. If so, you need ot spend some serious time learning the differences - the two products are NOT the same, and many terms are overloaded - have different meaning in each.

> I've an istance (in SQL)
> Can I create X DB ... one DB for each application? (1 DB for .NET
> application, 1 DB for Java application....)

In Oracle's terminology, a database is a set of files that can contain schemas and data and an instance is the memory and processes/threads that interact between the user and the database.

One Oracle database instance can contain many schemas, and a schema is roughly equivalent to a MS SQLServer database.

You can have many database instances on a machine (although I do not usually recomend that), and with Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition you can cluster several instances, each on it's own machine, to run one database.

> Can I do this with the OSE One?

Yes.

> And my concpet of DB is it righ??

No it is not. I strongly suggest you scoot over to a bookstore and purchase the book "Oracle Essentials, 3rd Edition". Read that to get familiar with the terms and the basics. I give that to managers and people who come from MS SQL Server, to serve as an introduction to Oracle. After that, you can get to the Oracle online documentation.

Feel free to help yourself as well - the documentation is free, as is a lot of reference information at http://otn.oracle.com

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com