Re: Real World Experience of Oracle RAC and its ability to Scale

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2005 06:48:24 -0700

For the transaction load mentioned I do not see why you would need 12 nodes even using two-cpu (Windows?) machines. If the vendor is the software product vendor and they recommend 12 nodes then I would suspect that thier application is the primary reason why and not the database.

I believe that a very important factor is Oracle database performance is the disk farm. Exactly what kind of disk is going to be used here?

Depending on the project time frame and hardward procurement lead time you might want to consider building a smaller cluster, testing, and scaling up only if necessary.

We run a far higher transaction load using only a two node cluster with multiple RAC databases running on the two six-cpu machines. Each machine is under 50% so that in the event a machine dies and will take more than a couple of hours to recover we can run everything on the remaining machine. But then we run under AIX on the Power PC so that leaves WinTel in the dirt.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 08:48:24 CDT