Real World Experience of Oracle RAC and its ability to Scale

From: Ian Turner <iturner1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:39:45 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently involved in a evaluation of an application that uses of Oracle RAC to scale horizontally.

At full production volumes the supplier is recommending a 12-node database cluster - using 2CPU commodity servers. Although the transaction rates are likely to be low, probably only:
- 1 update transaction (consisting of perhaps 10 updates/inserts) per
second.
- 10 queries/sec

on average during the day with more queries and less updates overnight . Peak volumes are unlikely to be significantly higher.

In the application architecture of the product some application components are hosted on the database server. This provides a standard building block to scale the application - so the vendor says.

Normally I would expect to separate the application tier from the database tier, and believe that a single database server (4CPU's perhaps) would easily be able to handle this kind of transaction load. But with this shared server the vendor recommends scaling is by adding these combined application/database server's into the cluster.

My understanding is that Oracle RAC would typically be deployed with < 5 nodes. So I'm looking to identify any real world examples of RAC clusters and the transaction rates/numbers of nodes.

I would also be interested to know if there are:
- any recommendations as to the maximum number of nodes in a RAC cluster

Any other comments on the general stability of the Oracle RAC platform in real world production environments would also be appreciated.

regards

Ian Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 07:39:45 CDT