Re: Challenge: Partitioning is a wrong idea

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:23:53 GMT

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:01:13 -0700, mikharakiri_nospaum interested us by writing:

>> Bottom line - who cares?  Certainly not the users who get significant
>> performance improvements under certain conditions and no performance
>> hits under the rest.

> The cost of "just an extra feature" is the bloated documentation, and
> increased cost of the product (or you think all these gadgets are
> free?)

No, it's not free.

But, in *some* organizations, the reduction in cost related to user time, and the reduction in cost due to lower CPU requirements through the [transparent] partition pruning (and the like) can more than offset the cost of the option and the cost of the DBA's time in administering it. Been there, proven that (in reports proprietary to customers).

In others, it doesn't add up economically. And in even some others, the people fritter it all away anyway, so it's not really important.

No idea how this is relevant to yours. But if you decide to do a true ROI study, Jonathan's book does provide some of the relevant factors database factors (whereas culture, and other non-technical factors are not included in the book.)

'nuf said

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com