Re: oracle generated numbers are being store in scientific notation.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:59:06 +0200

lcwcode_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> OUR DBA created a column that is defined as number(20)that
> automatically generates the numbers for this column. Some of the
> numbers are being stored in scientific notation. What does this mean?
> We need to define this column as another type? It seems like it has
> reached the limits that oracle will allow. Any info will help because
> I'm not a database person I just want to make sure this will not cause
> us any problems. I know it's using the auto generate feature in Oracle.

Numbers are stored as numbers. The (20) in your example must be regarded as a check constraint: you cannot store numbers with over 20 digits.

The scientific notation is a *DISPLAY* format, and is thus caused by the interface.
SQL> select to_char(12345689,'9.99EEEE') from dual;

TO_CHAR(12

   1.23E+07

--
Regards,