Re: oracle generated numbers are being store in scientific notation.

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:05:29 GMT

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:15:37 -0700, lcwcode interested us by writing:

> OUR DBA created a column that is defined as number(20)that
> automatically generates the numbers for this column. Some of the
> numbers are being stored in scientific notation. What does this mean?
> We need to define this column as another type? It seems like it has
> reached the limits that oracle will allow. Any info will help because
> I'm not a database person I just want to make sure this will not cause
> us any problems. I know it's using the auto generate feature in Oracle.

Do not confuse storage with presentation. Internally Oracle stored numbers as discrete digits - 2 digits to a byte - plus a bit of overhead for the sign. This is discussed in detail in the SQL Reference manual, found at http://docs.oracle.com (select the one appropriate for your version of Oracle.)

The default display, as Sybrand said, is 10 chars wide unless you override that, using the format 'template' or model described in the same manual. The display format has nothing (as in zip, nada, nil) to do with how it is stored. Changing the display formatting is described in excrutiating detail in the same manual. Both items are in chapter 2.

HTH

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com