Re: Target host or object does not exist?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 5 Apr 2005 07:16:59 -0700

laredotorn..._at_zipmail.com wrote:
> I am having some trouble starting up an instance of my Oracle 8.1.7
> database on a Solaris box.
>
> I set the Oracle SID, go to the appropriate directory and here's what
> happens ...
>
> > svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
> Message 4505 not found; No message file for product=SVRMGR,
> facility=MGR
>
> ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
exist
> SVRMGR>
>
> How can I get a list of valid objects/hosts? I'm thinking I didn'ts
> set the ORACLE_SID variable properly.
>
> Thanks, - Dave

Proper setting of the ORACLE_SID variable has no bearing on the error you've received, as it clearly indicates you've not properly set the rest of your environment (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE). There should be a script named oraenv in $ORACLE_HOME/bin (I shall presume your ORACLE_HOME should be /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1 or something similar) which will properly set your Oracle environment when called from your .profile. To use this script you will put a line similar to this in your .profile:

. /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1/bin/oraenv

Of course you will need to use YOUR ORACLE_HOME path. Once done, you should not see such errors.

David Fizjarrell Received on Tue Apr 05 2005 - 09:16:59 CDT