Re: Mirror redo logs

From: Perm <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 09:40:26 -0800

This can be done within oracle itself be defining a second archive destination. We do this as well and mirror our redo logs accross 2 completely indpendent SANs. There are also other options like volume replication and etc... as well but imho the 2nd archive destination is the cleanest and most robust solution.

When defining the 2nd arch dest, just simply provide a directory path that places whem on different storage, whether it be SAN, NAS, or loca.

Here is an example from one of our 9204 databases:
*.log_archive_dest_1='location=/u30/admin/chem1/arch'
*.log_archive_dest_2='location=/u31/admin/chem1/arch'

/u30 is mounted thru one HBA and goes to one SAN, /u31 is mounted thru a different HBA and goes to an entirely seprate SAN.

This particuliar database isn't heavily loaded so I can't really say what performance implications a 2nd arch dest has. I assume the archiver process reads the redo log once and writes to 2 destinations but it could very well read the redo log twice, which could create a performance hit depending on where your other redo logs lie. Received on Thu Mar 17 2005 - 11:40:26 CST