Re: WSDL, SOAP & lots of other things I don't know about.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:09:06 +0100

Preston Kemp wrote:
> 10g on Win2K
>
> The question (I think): Is it possible to 'get' XML data from a WSDL
> file behind an https server directly into Oracle?
>
> The background: another department in my company have been trying to do
> this on & off for over 5 months, but using Java to get the data before
> pumping it out to the database. The problem they're having is the WSDL
> is on an https server, & they can't get Java/Tomcat to work with the
> digital certificates. They can see the WSDL fine using a browser, so
> they know the certificate's ok, but can't get to it with Java.

The certificate probably is incomplete, as browsers come with the rest of the certificate. Java does not have that built in, so you just have to add that part. This has been discussed, even in this forum. A close (closer?) look at the logs would probably have revealed an 'incomplete certificate' (iirc, error 509) error. However, this is *very* speculative, I admit.

> As the whole purpose is to get the data (financial stuff such as stock
> prices) into Oracle, I wonder if it's possible to do this directly from
> Oracle? Unfortunately I know nothing about WSDL, SOAP, XMLSpy or any of
> the other bunches of letters being thrown around when I first heard of
> the problem yesterday. This makes it a bit hard to Google as I don't
> really know what questions I should be asking, & have plenty of my own
> work to do without researching stuff for other people.
>
> If the question doesn't make sense, or there's nowhere near enough
> information to go on, don't worry about it. But if it's an "oh yes we
> do that all the time" kind of thing, I'd appreciate any pointers, or
> even just a "yes it can be done in Oracle" or "not a chance".

This will probably not be exactly what you want, but Oracle can 'go out and read HTTP(S)' - check out the utl_http package, and read/write XML (xsl-queries to generate XML).

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel