Re: Rate of change of the database

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:05:45 GMT

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:53:38 -0800, akabazzi wrote:

> I am a new admin and new to oracle but I have been charged with finding
> out the rate of change of the database. I have been told I can probably
> use the logs to do this but looking at the logs is not getting me
> anywhere. I beg the oracles (pun intended) to lead me down the right
> path. What can I do t measure the rate of change of the database?

As the others have said - you need to read the Oracle Concepts manual to get a feeling of what is going on here. Before that, you might want to read the O'Reilly "Oracle Essentials" book to get comfortable enough me terminology to be able to understand the Concepts manual

You will also need to define 'rate of chane'.

However, since your colleagues have you barking up this tree, you can start by looking at the frequency that the log files are switching and the size of the log files. Log file switches are identified in the alert.log file, which you might as well get used to reading on a daily basis if you want to be a good DBA.

/FGB Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 10:05:45 CST