Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:46:22 +1100

Mark C. Stock apparently said,on my timestamp of 15/03/2005 12:27 AM:

> Recommendations aren't all that vague, it's a very workable technology.

Not when it comes to business logic and its relations to data. I agree it can describe the data format and its limits. Not so sure when it comes to DRI. And anything else outside of that. In other words: nothing that relational schemas haven't been doing more or less completely for literally ages. So, what exactly is new?

But if you listen to the XML evangelists, all this "validation" done via schema is the creme-de-la-creme of IT. As if no one else had been doing it for eons. Still, let's not get poisonous.

I have tremendous difficulty picturing XML being used for anything else other than describing data and ensuring it is valid. Any other use is just arbitrary or imposed.
Given that we've been doing that description for the last 40 years with all sorts of other technologies, exactly what are we getting with XML that is different? Besides the need to use super-computers to handle the same volumes we could handle before with PCs? Or the "one size fits all" approach which has been proven again and again to be unworkable?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto