Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:27:01 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:4235852c$0$21030$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Mark C. Stock apparently said,on my timestamp of 14/03/2005 11:01 PM:
>

>> Oracle XML DB, a standard Oracle database feature.
>
> 10g and 9i?

AFIK, 10g in all editions,

Including in 9iR1, but much better in 9iR2, not sure if it's in all editions in 9i

>> Writing the parser is not the tricky part. Writing the XML schema is, but
>> like anything, there are tools to assist.
>
> Hope so. Because I sure have trouble seeing how a parser can understand
> any schema. Given that there is no standard for the syntax
> and contents of a schema other than some very vague recommendations.

The reason a single parser can understand any (valid) schema is the same reason a single compiler can understand any (valid) source code. There's a spec for C, there's a spec for XML Schema.

XML DB validates in 3 steps:
1) The document is well-formed (tags match, follows XML spec) 2) Matches structure of referenced schema (if a schema is referenced and registered in the XML DB repository)
3) Obeys addtional XML Schema rules (patterns, min/max lengths, etc.)

Recommendations aren't all that vague, it's a very workable technology.

++ mcs Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 07:27:01 CST