Re: more "/ as sysdba" weirdness...

From: jrpm <mpir_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 13:49:49 -0800

Check what the privileges/clearances are for the account you are using at the OS/NT/Domain level. I have seen similar incidents when the Oracle services are started by accounts with inappropriate clearances or the account on the server trying to get to them has the wrong services.

GS wrote:
> This is usually not an issue that comes up very often, but I am
stumped
> in this case.
>
> Installed 9i on Windows server 2003, patched up to 9.2.0.6 and
created
> db with dbca(new database) using defualt sys and system pwds. Vendor
for
> new app was onsite and had a "canned prog" to create user and
tablspaces
> for said new app so I let him fly at it as I was busy in other areas.

> Now new app may be going into production soon, so in I go to change
sys
> and system passwords, put into archivelog etc... I make sure logged
in
> user on machine "domain\newuser" is part of ora_dba group, then go in
> connect / as sysdba and immediatly get ora-01031, ok, that doesnt
make
> sense but try "connect sys/change_on_install as sysdba" and get
> ora-01017 (invalid user/password). What the ^%$#! That cursed vendor
> must have changed these! Call the vendor to ask about this but they
are
> clueless, so I connect as app user which fortunatly was granted alter

> user privilege and I alter both system and sys to new passwords,
rename
> the password file and create new one with (same) new password,
connect
> as sys and make neccesary changes, log_archive_start=true
scope=spfile,
> log_archive_dest=xxx etc.. and shutdown the DB. Still at same prompt
> (sys as sysdba) I type in startup mount so I can alter database
> archivelog, and I get another ora-01031!!! so I enter connect
sys/newpwd
> as sysdba and get connected (to idle instance) and type startup
nomount
> and still get 01031, so here I am unable to even start the DB back
up.
> So I stop the service and restart, DB comes up ok, connect as
> system/newpwd ok, but now cant connect as sys for anything.
Doublecheck
> that user is part of ora-dba as it is on all my other servers and
> everything is fine, machine is logged on to domain etc., sqlnet.ora
is
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) and I've tried changing it
back
> to NTS, commenting it out et.. all to no avail. The
> remote_login_passwordfile was orinigally set to exclusive, but I
changed
> it to "none" with an alter system scope=spfile and I still cannot get
in
> as sys.
>
> I've been googling this for 45 minutes to no avail, sys user looks
the
> same as all other DB's and I have never run into this before.
According