Re: RAC with OCFS on Win2K - archive logs destination

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:33:44 GMT

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> have you run into concurrency issues with respect to robocopy wanting
> to copy a file that oracle has not yet finished archiving?
>
> alter system switch logfile ... initiates a log file switch, but pays
> no attention to whether or not the file has been archived. [...]
>
> I believe that you might want to consider
>
> alter system archive log current;

That is a good suggestion. In the Unix world, judicious use of the "fuser" command can help provide additional confirmation in a script that a file is not in use (subject to race condition, of course).

Jesse wrote:
> Our original intention was to duplex the archive
> logs to both an OCFS drive and a local drive (per node), but the
> consulting company that helped with the project discovered some info
> (possibly on metalink) that warned against this type of config on RAC
> as it could somehow make recovery a bit more difficult if one node died
> completely. If I can find the info they gave us, I'll post it.

Jesse, did you ever find the info from the consultant? As long as all instances in the RAC archive to at least one common location on OCFS, I can't see why using additional local drive locations would cause any problem at all. Even if one node is down in a 2-node RAC, the remaining node should continue to archive both threads to the shared location.

-Mark Bole Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 18:33:44 CST