Re: Temp Tablespace Question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 15:34:29 -0800

SG wrote:
> Running 10g RAC (10.1.0.3) on Redhat ES 3.0.
>
> First of all, I'm new to the Oracle world so if I am way off track,
please
> correct me.
> My understanding of a temp tablespace and its function is that a temp
extent
> is not "deallocated" once allocated for sorting ops and will remained

> allocated for the life of the instance. However, once allocated, they
can be
> reused by new sessions. Is that correct? How can one tell what
segments are
> available for reuse? I have used "select * from v$sort_usage;" and it

> returns o rows. If an application connects to the database, and is
running a
> dynamic sql loop statement, won't that continually expand the temp

If you have support,
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=1039341.6 and the links at the bottom of it are pretty informative, even if they don't say much about 10. I would strongly recommend signing up for metalink if you haven't already.

http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.