Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2005 17:34:32 -0800

I also know nothing about db2, but I've had a lot of experience with oracle support (as well as being an oracle support person at a third party).

The quality varies over time and what is being supported. I've had pretty good luck with the rdbms people.

Oracle changes their support model periodically, perhaps partly because people learn how to game any system. As you've been on metalink, you probably have noticed there is a lot of information available there. Obviously, the more humans that can be replaced by user self-service the better the profitability. Also, they've tried using support people out of the country, and got somewhat burned by that. (to those about to shout "racist!", I've consistently gotten the best support out of Australia, I'm in the US). When you actually talk to an rdbms person, they tend to be very nice and interested in helping with the problem. Other products less so, in my experience, my guess has been they are less experienced and more towards frontline support. But I have gotten phone callbacks in a timely manner. Having been on the other side, I don't even bother to open a tar unless I've gotten as far as I can myself and have distilled the problem to something communicable (which is and should be required in order to open the tar, anyways).

If you do have something that requires someone to stay with it until it is resolved, you just have to say the word. If you have managers that need someone to yell at, you can escalate. What more can you ask? The touchy-feely stuff varies, but I've had good results with the rdbms folk, even when they have to tell me I'm hosed because of Oracle.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Go Carly!