DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: NormaJean Sebastian via DBMonster.com <forum_at_DBMonster.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:44:09 GMT

Hi,
I almost read all of the "DB2 vs Oracle" thread... The summary I got from that was all databases essentially do the same things, the decision of which one you use primarily depends on available skillsets, software vendor support, and customer/tech support.

I will be facing a decision on migrating our SAP Informix database to either Oracle, DB2UDB, or Sqlserver. I don't think we are going to SqlServer. I have some Oracle experience, I have no DB2 or DB2UDB experience, I have lots of Informix experience.

What I would like to have discussed in this thread is the support and quality of support available for DB2UDB (we would run on Sun) and Oracle.

The quality of the Informix support I have gotten through the years, whether calling Lenexa(informix), SAP, or IBM has been outstanding.

In my short time with Oracle, the support does not match Informix. Doesn't even come close. I do not know if perhaps I am just not hooked in to the right support channels, or that's really all there is. (I use Metalink and rarely have talked to a live Oracle support person).

I know nothing of the quality of DB2 UDB support.

I am aware the SAP & IBM recently tightened their relationship on the DB2/DB2UDB side as informix will be fading out (as an SAP platform). Oracle bought PeopleSoft and there are articles about oracle aiming for some of SAP's business. Does that make IBM the database vendor of choice for SAP?

I don't want to haggle about technical details of features/functionality between IBM's DB2 UDB versus Oracle...

I want to hear about the non-technical, the touchy-feely human side of support. When I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to pick up the phone and get help, i don't want the run-around.

Please enlighten me on the quality of oracle support, the frequency of database patches needed, the frequency of maintenance outages (DBA housekeeping and what housekeeping items are needed). Same goes for DB2 UDB...

I feel my bottom line decision will not be based on features/functionality, but rather on quality of support.

thank you for your input,
Norma Jean