Re: ORACLE.EXE still in memory after desinstall + reboot (10G)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:50:56 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1108999966.667019_at_yasure...
> ppcdev wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> After deinstalling Oracle 10g from a Windows 2000 Advanced server,
>> Oracle.exe is still running in memory.
>>
>> Even after reboot the oracle.exe process is still running... And I
>> can't stop it with the task manager !
>>
>> Thank you if anyone can help :)
>
> Then you didn't deinstall it leaving open the question of what it is
> you actually did. So what did you do?
>
> What you should have done is:
> 1. Used oradim to remove the Oracle service.
> 2. Dropped everything under c:\oracle
> 3. Dropped everything under c:\Program Files\Oracle

Well as this is supposed to be 10g I'd have thought a better order would be

  1. Use oradim to remove the db
  2. Remove the listener
  3. Remove any asm instances
  4. Run OUI and use the provided uninstall routine.
  5. Then check to see what if anything you have left - the 10g uninstaller is actually rather good.

I'd still have recommended this ahead of the just delete everything route as far back as 8i, but there is nothing (or almost nothing) left when you do it with 10g.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA